Sunday, September 6, 2020

A dog tale with such a happy ending

AS a completely soppy dog lover, can I just say how delighted I am that Eli the Labrador has been found.
I’m an avid supporter of the Missing Dogs Salisbury crew on Facebook. I think they do a wonderful job out of the goodness of their hearts. But they are only part of a network of similarly dedicated unsung heroes across the country. And this is how It can pay off.
I don’t know Eli’s owners, and I hope they won’t be upset by my intrusion, because I can’t possibly know everything that led up to this situation, but my understanding is that they allowed a stranger into their home out of kindness, and that he and the dog subsequently disappeared, prompting an internet search. Now Eli has been found in Kent.
The story brought to mind an error of judgment I made way back in my youth - only it was my rent money, that I’d thoughtlessly left on top of a dressing table,  that disappeared along with the homeless couple I’d invited to stay the night because I felt sorry for them. Hardly comparable with the loss of a beloved pet. But the result was still pretty disastrous,  as I had to move out and rely on the kindness of friends till I”d saved enough for deposit on another bedsit. A painful lesson, but what you learn from it depends on how you look at life. You don’t have to become embittered.
We are all, always, just a whisker away from disaster. It can strike in a multitude of ways, and wealth may be no defence. Never, ever, think it can’t happen to you.
But never let it stop you trying to help people in need. The good ones far outnumber the bad, and there are so many reasons why things go wrong for some, through no fault of their own.

Please take a look at the project mentioned in Svend’s comment below. What a truly inspirational way to face adversity.

2 comments:

  1. As you so rightly say, you don't have to become embittered. Eli's family were prompted by his disappearance to embark on this amazing project: https://www.gonetosee.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That’s amazing, Svend. And inspirational. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete