Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Drawbacks for patients and pets in People Friendly Streets scheme

WHEN my Mum was alive, I often had to take her to the doctor’s at Endless Street.

We used to park on a meter outside because she could only manage to walk a few steps. And she didn’t have a blue badge because she didn’t have a car.

How will patients with limited mobility manage once Endless Street becomes closed to non-residents under the People Friendly Streets scheme being proposed by Wiltshire Council?

Similarly, how will people whose pets are ill be able to access the Endell vet practice?

I’m not trying to be a killjoy here. I know our local cycling enthusiasts are cock-a-hoop at the opportunity to prioritise pedestrians and cyclists over motorised vehicles, and I do appreciate that this will improve the city’s air quality.

But the council says its experimental scheme will remove through traffic “without significantly inconveniencing residents and businesses”. How will that work, then?

NB Someone has posted a comment that it's not necessary to own a car in order to be given a Blue Badge. If so, I stand corrected. At my mother's previous address in the London Borough of Havering we were told we couldn't have a badge because there was no vehicle registered to her address.

I do not think that this materially affects the point I am making about access to Endless Street facilities for people with limited mobility, sick children, sick animals etc. but all constructive dialogue is welcomed on this blog.

2 comments:

  1. I had similar issues with a 95 year old friend who did not drive and used taxis.She could not walk very far and taxi ranks too far away and no taxi drop off point in vicinity of blue badge places in market square.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't need to own a car to have a Blue Badge. It's linked to the person not a vehicle.

    ReplyDelete